Requirement of Social Security Direct Deposit

      Comments Off on Requirement of Social Security Direct Deposit

Law requires that your federal benefit payments be deposited to you electronically, and there are 3 ways of doing it.

Let’s take a look.


1. Social Security Direct Deposit.

You can go for this option if you already have a savings or a checking account with a Bank and/or the Credit Union.

Here are the different ways you can enroll for Social Security Direct Deposit:

  • Fill in the Direct Express Direct Deposit Sig up Form and deposit it at your Social Security Office, better still; mail it.
  • Go to your US Direct Express Bank or the Credit Union Office and register for Direct Deposit.
  • Call up the US Department of Treasury at 1-800-333-1795 and enroll with them directly.
  • Reach out to the local Social Security Office; click here to locate the one near you.
  • You could also call up Social Security Administration directly at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). They are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.


2. US Direct Express Debit Card

The US Treasury Department also recommends the US Direct Express Debit MasterCard as an alternative means of receiving Federal Benefit Payments. The SSI benefits will be credited to your account and you can use the Direct Express debit card just as you would with your usual Comerica Bank Account.

Click this link here for instructions on how to apply for US Direct Express Card.


3. Electronic Transfer Account of USDirectExpress

Electronic Transfer Account (ETA) is slightly different from your regular Bank Accounts. This type of account does not come with fees like those in traditional Bank accounts.

It’s designed by the US Department of the Treasury specifically for disbursing Federal Benefit Payments. You need to find a provider and enroll for a Direct Deposit with them.

Click the page here to learn more on the Social Security Direct Deposit.

Note: If you don’t enroll for an electronic receipt of your benefits, you will soon be hearing from the US Treasury Department.